I have written down some things that I have heard in the past while that have made me chuckle. I decided that I would list them and share the love.

-I'm a fixin' to...
I guess that if you live in the South (capitalized as it "shall rise again") you probably hear this more often. However living in the Utah, I don't hear it nearly as much. It was a friend of mine that called someone out on this statement. She queried whether or not they actually said that. They did.

-Tempest in a Teapot
I would assume that this is metaphorical, meaning that the situation is not critical, but people are acting as though it is. This is true unless you have ever had a teapot of hot tea spilt on your lap.

-Navel Gazing Nonsense
I have no idea what this means.

-Hootenany
(as in "shindig") Unfortunately I am the guilty party on this one. It was nigh upon staff meetin' time and I asked my boss what time this hootenany was going to start. Understandably all conversation stopped. A several minute discussion on the term hootenany ensued. We are none the wiser.

-Wait California is a state? (or something to that effect)
I overheard this walking across the campus of a liberal (not capitalized) University in Utah. I was surprised at the surprise of the student who suddenly realized that the thousand or so miles of west coast line was occupied by a "state" and not a receptacle for celebrity excess. Go figure.

-...its like the older I get, the less I change...
Another student on said campus. Talking on a cell phone, because who talks to those physically present anymore. I only heard this brief exchange but chuckled nonetheless.

-Fauxumentary
I heard this on the radio and liked it. It has probably been around for a while, but new to me. Films such as This is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Drop Dead Gorgeous are good examples of this.

-shindig
Referenced earlier in this post, and I apologize.

So there you go, a list of some funny stuff overheard in the past while. I hope to update this list soon. I hear often, remember less.

0 comments: